Chutney – The Indian condiment that triumphs over ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise on most occasions.
My Uncle Mohammed is the chutney Guru at home. He has a certain knack for transforming any vegetable,nuts, herbs or pulses into a bowl of spicy goodness.
This is a saving grace on the days when I am too lazy to cook a veggie main or accompaniment to rice.
Tomato being the main ingredient of this chutney, makes this condiment an easy way to add a little color and spicy sour flavour to a plate of hot white rice.
Tomatoes- 400 gms( 1 tin of chopped tomatoes/4-5 tomatoes)
Cumin Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Garlic Cloves- 4 crushed
Tamarind- a small piece
Red chilli powder- 1 ½ teaspoon
Curry Leaves- a few(8-10 leaves)
salt to taste
Oil -4 Tablespoon
- In a pan, add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the cumin seeds .
- Once the cumin seeds begin to crackle, add the tomatoes, garlic,tamarind,red chilli powder and salt.
- Cover the pan and let the tomatoes cook for 5 minutes.
- By this time the tomatoes would begin to get mushy. Stir the tomatoes and simmer the heat and leave for another 10 minutes or till all the water of tomatoes gets reduced and the oil surfaces on top.
- Add the curry leaves and tomato chutney is ready to eat.