There are various iterations of this dish and they vary quite a bit based on where in India you eat this. This recipe is by no means completely authentic as it is inspired by the original and tweaked for the Hyderabadi palette.
More importantly it is my mums recipe and reminds me of family get togethers where this dish made a regular appearance. Birthday parties, impromptu visitors were catered to by accompanying this dish with some fresh tandoori roti available easily from several bakeries in Muscat. The star dish in all its bold garlicky, buttery creamy self accompanied by crispy tandoori breads never disappointed.
- Boneless Chicken – 500 gms
- Tomatoes – 4 (quick blend them for a fine paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 Tablespoon
- Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Paprika – 1 teaspoon (I used Paprika to get the vibrant natural red colour)
- Turmeric – ½ Teaspoon
- Yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Almonds (peeled)- 15-20
- Double cream – For garnish
- Kasuri Methi(dried fenugreek leaves)- 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 20 gms
- Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the chicken and drain out all the water. Now marinate the Chicken with 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp chilli powder and salt to taste and leave it for 30-45 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add oil and once heated , add the marinated chicken and shallow fry it on high for 5 minutes till sufficiently seared and dry. Then put the chicken aside .
- In the same pan with the remaining oil, add 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp chilli powder and lower the heat. Now add the tomatoes that have been mashed and pureed.
- Let the tomatoes cook for 5-10 minutes until cooked and the oil separates out.
- Now reduce the flame to low and add almond paste along with a tablespoon of yogurt and stir continuously . ( The almond paste acts as a thickening agent so it is important to keep stirring it or it will stick to the bottom of the pan). Let is cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now add 1 tsp of dry fenugreek leaves, Add the chicken and two tablespoons of double cream and salt to taste.
- Finish with butter and double cream.
- Serve it hot with Butter Naan or Rice.